Friday, March 25, 2011

Group Reading of Ulysses

Some people have said that Ulysses is the greatest novel ever written.  I have never opened James Joyce's epic tome because it's so thick that you could mortar houses with it.  It's not exactly the kind of book you can cuddle up with at night in bed. 

I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. I heard though the grapevine about a group reading of Ulysses.  I figured that going to a group reading might be a great way to see the book in a new light.

Weeeeoooo. Weeeeooooo. Alert. Alert. 

The nerd alarm is going off. I know, I know.  But let me defend myself.

I had the opportunity to read a book in one of the places that is featured in the same novel.  How cool is that?  The same exact building stands intact from the first day it opened its mahogany doors in 1853.  It was a working pharmacy until 2009, but now, it is a bookshop and volunteers work to preserve its original ambiance - just as it was in Joyce's novel. 

http://www.sweny.ie/
(from Sweny's website)

Every Thursday evening at 7pm, the group gets together to do a read-aloud of the book.  The whole shop was about the same size as a New York studio apartment, but people packed in like sardines to share the story.  People joined together from all countries - Joyce's words were read in French, Italian, American, Danish, and Irish accents. 

Each person would take a turn reading a few pages and then the next person would take over.  Everyone else followed along with their own copy.  As my time to read drew closer, my heart started to beat faster.  Joyce is some difficult reading.  The words roll together in long drawn-out sentences, punctuation optional.  You are bound to stumble.  The sentences are structured like clunky blockades on an obstacle course.  My foot tapping grew more dramatic, uncontrollable even. 

My mind started wandering, "What if I make a fool of myself?  Oh my goodness, what are these words?  Why is Joyce sprinkling Italian onto the page?  It doesn't matter because I don't even understand the English.  What is going on?"  My inner dialogue was running away with itself. 

"Oh shoot!  Where are we?" 

I was concentrating so hard on getting prepared that I lost my place!  I snapped back and recovered just in time.

As I started reading, my voice steadied and the words flowed.  I keep hoping that every time I try public speaking, it will get easier....but I'm still waiting. 

I'm glad that I tried the read-along group, but I must admit that it did not change my opinion of James Joyce.

Some people have said that Ulysses is the greatest novel ever written.  I think that they must have been smoking something when they said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment