Saturday, January 22, 2011

Will Work for Coffee

I haven't quite understood the value of a euro yet.  To me, everything is expensive since the exchange rate is so horrible (1 euro = $1.75), but I also don't have a feel for the worth of items. 

At home, I know right away that a $6 bottle of shampoo is too expensive, but here, even a tiny sized bottle cost me 3.50 euro - it had better be the most luxurious hairwashing of my life!  Did I get ripped off or is that an average price? 

Dublin, like all cities, is double the cost of a normal town.  You can save a lot of money by learning tricks of the trade (like getting food at the grocery store instead of getting take-away all the time), but your bank account is still going to feel the pinch. 

I have only been here a week and I already spent 150 euro!  I opened my wallet the other day and I swear that my wallet made a groaning noise.  Where does it all go?  I started keeping a written log of everything that I spend so that I could keep track.  The log keeps me from having a panic attack because I can see where I am spending.  Food, toiletries, toilet paper and whatnot (very important), bus fares....just normal cost of living items start to add up. 

I have been trying to scrape by on a lot of things.  For example, I eat a lot of potatoes.  That's right, just a potatoe with some carrots and peas for dinner.  Mmmmmm delicious (I'm trying to understand the Irish Potatoe Famine firsthand.)  I'm back on the college student diet.

However, to be completely fair, I found out that I have no problem spending money on other things.  Everyday so far, I go out with friends from work for coffee (occassionally I have gone twice in one day).  I can never say no to coffee or to socializing!  I've actually given up taking the bus to-and-from work....I don't have a great love for walking, but if I walk, it means that I can use my bus fare to buy coffee.  If that doesn't scream addiction, then I don't know what does. 

Butler's Chocolate Cafe is like a gift from heaven.  Not only is their mocha cappuccino out of this world, but they also give you a delectable piece of rich chocolate to eat after you finish your drink.  Is it bad that I'm starting to get the shakes just thinking about it?  Maybe I should cut back....

My other great weakness is books.  I am a self-professed bibliophile.  I bought a book of Irish fairy tales and legends because I like learning the local lore wherever I go.  But then, I also noticed that The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest was already out in paperback here.  I have been waiting for months for this book!  It only just came out in hardcover back home.  At 9.50 euro, how could I resist?  (Hopefully the British/Irish English won't confuse me too much.)  I'm going to need another suitcase just to bring back my new library.

Moral to the story: I may be tired from trudging all over the city and walking many miles every day, but at least I am happy because I am highly caffeinated and well read :-). 

No comments:

Post a Comment