Saturday, January 22, 2011

I thought I could speak English....

I was eating dinner with Betta the other night and I asked her about her favorite foods at home.  "Aubergine parmiagano" was her response. 

"It sounds delicious!  What does that mean in English?" I asked her. 

"I am speaking English," was her reply.

Huh!?  We consulted her Italian/English dictionary, and I learned a new word.  "Aubergine" is apparently the British word for "eggplant." 

So far, I haven't had any problems understanding anyone, but I have had a few question mark moments.

Here are a few others:

"That's grand."  - Used all of the time....synonomous with "awesome," but sounds much more refined.

"Earwigging" - listening in on another person's conversation

"lads" - the guys

"fag" - a cigarrette (You're smoking what?!)

"boot" - trunk of a car

And the most important, "craic" (pronounced "crack") - fun / a good time (although, to be fair, this is Gaelic, not English.

No comments:

Post a Comment