Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Learning Italian

Over the weekend, Betta showed me around town.  She is working at the National Gallery as an art conservator.  Her specialty is paper (it sounds very specific, but it takes years to master....you don't want to make a mistake on a Van Gogh!)  Right now she is trying to restore a fifteenth century Japanese pop-up.  It has a huge stain on it and quite a few tears.  The National Gallery is below:



After she showed me where she worked, we stopped by an Italian restaurant which she said is the only authentic place in the city :-).  The cappucino at the Italian restaurant was out of this world.  I always thought that I took my coffee seriously - I have at least one cup a day and I use a variety of flavorings.   Apparently, however, I am just an amatuer.   Later, Betta and I went to the grocery store and we spent awhile in the coffee/tea aisle.  She was looking for beans to make mocha, but the store was sorely lacking.  I suggested putting hot chocolate mix in the coffee (that's what I always did at home).  Betta gave me a look which was a mixture of shock, horror, and disgust.  I didn't think it would be possible but I somehow managed to gross out my roommate on the first day!  Apparently, I have much to learn about the art of coffee.

In the afternoon, Betta wanted to see House Number 29 and I definitely obliged. The museum is a restored Giorgian House so that everything is either authentic or an exact replica of the early 19th century.  I know what you are thinking - major snooze fest - but, it was actually quite amazing.  Seeing all of the actual clothing, furniture, and objects used right in front of you (instead of just in a textbook) really makes history come alive.  The house was narrow but actually much taller than I realized.  In the past, the maid would have to climb 82 stairs to deliver the tea to her mistress at the top floor.  Talk about a workout!  Nineteenth century maids must have had buns of steel (and I'm not talking about the scones).  It amazes me how much technology has advanced in only 100 or so years.  The maid would keep the food on rat plasters (planks of wood hanging from the ceiling so that the mice wouldn't get to it) - and this house was for one of the wealthiest busnessmen in Dublin!  She would maintain the bed warmers with charcoal and clean out the piss pots (one was right in the middle of the dining room for the men to use during parties).  I do not envy the maid. 

The most beautiful piece in the house was the waterford crystal chandelier.  There were several of them which would actually be lit by candle.  My favorite actually produced designs on the walls through the use of shadows and light.  Incredible.

The houses in Dublin, even today, are all made of brick or stone, but the doors are all sorts of colors.  The city is basically grey (grey houses, grey skyline, grey hair...just kidding), so the doors add some vibrancy.  Even back inthe 19th century, the doors to all of the posh houses were bright red, blue, yellow, or pink.  It makes the environment a little cheerier since there isn't too much sunlight.  I feel like a whithering plant -- where is the sun?!?  The weather is much warmer than at home (high 40s or 50s), but the days are never what I would call bright.

Betta and I also visited her favorite dessert shop.  I think that we will become fast friends since she is a girl who loves dessert and coffee - what more could you ask for?  :-)  Queen of Tarts is located in the old Temple Bar Area near Christchurch Cathedral.  As far as I'm concerned, I could live there permanently.  Betta and I ordered a rasperry scone and a slice of chocolate cake and split them.  The richness of the chocolate cake almost made me cry.  Slivered almonds and a creamy dark chocolate iciing topped off the fluffy cake filling.  Then, I came to the raspberry scone - pure heaven.  The scone was buttery, crumbly, and warm (unlike the hard ones I usually find at home which can break your teeth).  In the middle, rasperrry jam burst with flavor and infused the whole scone with a hint of fruit. The scone was served with fresh cream whcih added the perfect amount of airy sweetness.  To top everything off, we ordered tea.  It was actually served in a cute red tea kettle and our cups were fine china, decorated with handpainted flowers.  I managed to gross Betta out again by putting milk in my tea.  Now I am two for two!


The Temple Bar area has many cute shops (Betta bought an adorable vintage dress) and many Bars....as the name would suggest.  I must go back!

Later that night, as I was getting ready for bed, I heard some familiar music coming from Betta's computer.  Is that the theme song to the show How I Met Your Mother?  Yes!  Betta and I watched an episode in Italian.  I couldn't understand a word, but I had already seen the episode - it was the Robin Sparkles show.  Afterwards, Betta and I discussed our favorite Disney movies.  Sometimes, globalization is good thing :-)  And who knows - I may not know Gaelic by the end of my trip, but I might learn Italian!

No comments:

Post a Comment