Thursday, January 20, 2011

Learning about Global Politics

The museum is located right next to the parliament building.  This is where the Dail (pronounced Dole) meets to do whatever it is that governments do on a daily basis.  I'm glad that I found out about this out - I was wondering why there were so many people with cameras standing outside the museum!  If you see me in the background of some protests on the news, don't worry.  I am not actually in the protests; I was just caught on camera while I was walking to work!

Today, there were loud protests going on outside (you could hear them from within the offices in the museum).  According to newspapers, six parliament members resigned so far in the midst of the financial troubles and negotiations with the EU.  Today's protestors had signs indicating that they wanted to save a hospital from being shut down.  To further emphasize this, there was a man on a hospital bed being pulled around by a donkey labeled "ambulance."  No word about how the donkey felt about this.

It's rather exciting to be in the thick of things right in central city (although like I said before, I'm not actually involved, so never fear).  Right now, I am fairly very ignorant about world politics, but I'm excited to understand more about international news.  

No comments:

Post a Comment