Sunday, February 13, 2011

Random Observations

Random Observation 1: Scotland played Ireland in some sort of match, and I have never in my life seen so many many in kilts in one place at the same time.  Huge groups of men walked down the streets in their Scottish finest.  They all had their sporrans in front and fiddled with them quite often (a sporran is the purse in the front so get your mind out of the gutter...although if anyone heard me use the word purse, I'm sure that there would be a fight).  It was overcast, and grey; the air was crisp and damp, and yet the men boldly walked with bared legs.  Although I suppose that most of them had enough hair to keep them warm (why are girls the only ones who have to shave?!)   At least, however, today was the first day without the incredible wind gusts we've been having---I hear that they don't wear anything underneath!  I don't know who won the match, but I heard there were quite the riots in the streets later that night (still not indicative of a win or a loss...any chance to go crazy over here is a good chance!)

Random Observation 2: I know that a lot of smokers complain at home about all of the bans instituted in public places.  I would imagine that would be quite frustrating; however, after being in a country with no smoking bans (except in restaurants), I have to say that I'm really happy we have them.  I will be walking down the street minding my own business, and right as I pass someone, they will blow out a huge cloud of smoke so that I get hit in the face, coughing and sputtering. Do they get extra points for a direct hit or something?  I also have a huge black mark on my shoulder bag because people carelessly swing their arms with cigarette in hand and someone dragged their ash across me.  Super Disgusting!

Random Observation 3: People jaywalk in New York all the time, but here in Dublin, they have mastered the art of ignoring the light.  It's actually more than ignoring--it's almost as if they have an actual disdain for safe crossing.  They need more adventure or something. 

For the first few days, I would wait patiently at the end of the sidewalk until the signal changed, but I soon noticed that swarms of people would pass me.  Even if a car is coming, people will still make a run for it and dash across.  It's like a human game of Frogger! 

One day, I was standing at the edge of the sidewalk and an elderly woman with a walker came up beside me.  A bus was coming down the road at a decent speed, but it was still maybe 300 yards away.  The woman gave it a cursory glance and then dismissed it and stepped out into the street.  She hobbled along, walker placed in front, one foot, then the other.  The bus maintained its speed and the distance between the two was shrinking rapidly.  I held my breath, but all I could do was stare.  The woman just kept plodding along, never even acknowledging the bus with a second look.  She made it to the other side just as the bus passed, the wind from the bus making her skirts swirl.  That was when I realized that I need to change my habits.  If an eighty year old with a walker was going to pass me, then I definitely needed to become bolder.

Random Observation 4:  I always forget that the decimal point is exchanged for the comma here.  The church across the street from me needed 80.000 euro to get a new heating system.  I'm thinking to myself, "This area must be poorer than I thought.  They can't all chip in a quid to pay for the 80 euro bill?  I can scrounge up 20 euro for them!"   Only later did I realize what a complete and utter moron I was.  The heater costs 80 THOUSAND....not 80.  I don't think that my 20 euro donation is going to cut it anymore.

Random Observation 5: When you see a drunk person swaying down the street, get out of their way as fast as you can.

Culturally speaking, I don't feel ridiculously out of place here.  There are obviously many differences between America and Ireland and a lot of unique norms and habits, but it's not radically dissimilar.....at least in the City.  I'll continue to keep my eyes open for new observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment