Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book of Kells

We were supposed to go to the Botanical Gardens this morning, but Betta decided that there wasn't enough time.  Instead, I went on my own to see the Book of Kells at Trinity College.  Next to the Guttenberg, this is one of the most famous Bibles ever printed. 

It is one of the few surviving texts from the Viking invasions in the ninth century when many monasteries were burned to the ground by the marauders.  The pages are exquisitely illuminated (a mixture of text, artwork, and text as artwork).  Monks literally spent their entire lives copying the text.  The designs are exquisite.  They sometimes even used flecks of real gold mixed in the paint to elevate the words and enhance their divinity.

 Part of the reason why they book has survived so long is because the pages are vellum, not paper.  Approximately, 185 calves were killed to create enough writing space (vellum is calf skin).  If PETA were around in the ninth century, they would have had a field day with that statistic!


Is it worth nine euros?  Absolutely not.  I still can't believe I paid the admission price.  And, yet, it would have been a crying shame for me to have stayed in Dublin for three months and never seen it.  So, I guess the admission price was worth it to ease my conscience.  And, while I'm continuing to ease my conscience, I must admit that I bought two books about Kells---I couldn't resist!


The entrance to Trinity's hallowed halls.  Trinity actually started as a Protestant college in 1592.  It was built by the Queen in an effort to enhance Protestant values and end debauchery.  No word yet on whether or not this has been acheived. 




When I got home tonight, I baked a cheesecake with Betta.  Uncle Harry's cheesecake definitely tastes better, but I made a passable attempt at his recipe.  I gave her my American cheesecake recipe and she is going to teach me how to make a pizza.  What a great trade! 

No comments:

Post a Comment